After reading a Lots of tweets on SSRF, I have decided to test for only SSRF for bug bounty. Generally I work on Synack platform due to precise scope and response time. I Love Hackerone also but due to limited resource and lack of automation I fails/hate to to do lots of discovery stuff. whether its a content discovery or assets discovery I hate both lol. Because sometimes it take too long on my intel Core i5 with 16 GB and 20MBPS connection just to discover a assest/content, Hence I prefer to have a defined scope for testing so that I can spend more time on or sharpening the my testing skills than Discovery skills.
Since on this platform also there are many targets and many skilled researcher hence you have to be very specific while selecting targets, its really hard to believe that the bug submitted after 20 Mins of target getting Live can be dup and the bug identifier says your bug id is targetname-13
|I mean what..! 13 Bugs in 20 Mins, How can someone even open burp setup the target in 20 mins|
So that's different pain altogether. Also when selecting target on Synack you have to keep few things in mind which hurts a lot to bug bounty hunters later you get used to it..
- " PoC || GTFO " if you use words like potential or which can be used, or attacker can later, this means your bug is rejected.
- "Out Of Scope" is much wider than that acceptance criteria.
- Low hanging fruits a best describe in one picture..
- Don't get surprise if bugs which pays nice $$$ on other platform gets rejected
- Technology stack is extremely out of box... some times it takes too long to understand.
- Scope... You have to be in scope. it doesn't matter whether you get RCE is on other subdomain or OOS endpoint ;)
|OOS Means OOS even if its RCE on diff endpoint|
So keeping all above things in mind I am almost sure every time that either I have to find out of box or something obvious which is missed by the our highly skilled Synack Red Team members.
keeping everything in mind,I always select target which is having Blitz
because as you know you are going on war, where you are not sure that whether you can return or not then choose the toughest target to defeat.
So i have selected the target which has blitz and the last vulnerability reported to that was 3 Month ago so I took this as a good luck and started. After application mapping,content discovery, and complete enumeration of target i started fuzzing every parameter for SSRF sounds silly but yes only SSRF.
- First approach was SSRF via XXE via File upload
On this target there was an excel parsing so first thing came in mind is to achieve SSRF via XXE via file upload so created a xls file with basic payload and uploaded to application and waited for few times but no luck, then multiple manipulated payloads was loaded and uploaded but still no luck..
Then gave up on this option.
- second with irrespective of parameter and its purpose I started shooting SSRF payload to every parameter i.e monkey testing
This also dint works as all the parameter were nicely sanitize.
Wait.. Something is there..
So when I was fuzzing the application with some not obvious values like -10. it was making a call to /api/sentry.
Hmmmm lots and lots of parameters are here.. and smells something good here so request was looking like this.i have changed the parameter filename with my burp colab client id.
And i was Hopelessly looking at my colab client and what its unbelievable I saw the request from xxx.xxx.xx.xx to my colab clinet
so took the request in repeater and again played it but no luck then took again took many of the recent request to the repeater and tried to play again but no luck
- first I though may be a sequence of request might be matter like first it was making OPTION request to /api/sentry and then it was doing post request so tried that but no luck
- Then I think, Out of many sentry request only few request might have power to make SSRF, so again started from scratch and again i am able to see one request only after repeater again there is no SSRF.
- Then i started comparing bit-by-bit in 2,3 requests
And come to know that all request was being track by "event_id"The moment i changed the character from event_id It again hit my colab client
Setting the attack
I have sent the below request to Intruder.
Getting the Payloads
Now click on burp and burp collaborator client it will open the collaborator window Click on number to generate change it to 50 and click on copy to clip board.
Final Attack setup
|Payload For Filename Parameter|
|payload For event ID|
|Love for 200OK|